We know this is a lot to read, but it sums up who we are, what we do, and why we do it. Please, take a few minutes to get to know us.
This ethical statement provides you with insights into our personal philosophy regarding cosmetics and to clarify our intentions. We think it is extremely important to know exactly what you are purchasing and from whom. For more clarification on these statements or any statements related to our products or promotional materials, please contact email@example.com.
The term natural is not regulated and is often seen on many products as a marketing ploy. The terms organic, vegan, and fair trade are also used in misleading ways by many marketers. Products that are not certified organic, vegan, or fair trade may often be seen with unlicensed trademarks, which leads many people to believe these products are something they are not. Our goal is to eliminate these shady marketing practices and provide you with definitions of what these terms mean to us and how we use them to market our products.
When purchasing "natural" cosmetics, it's important to remember that many lines are crossed between personal beliefs and facts. Many companies end up selling cosmetics deemed misbranded by the FDA because the product's packaging includes their personal beliefs and folklore in the descriptions or benefits of their products. This often results in unsubstantiated claims and many products that should be considered unregulated over-the-counter drugs instead of cosmetics.
We started Shorganics based on our personal beliefs that cosmetics made with organic, vegan, and fairly traded ingredients carry intrinsic benefits beyond simply being cosmetics. We choose to purchase these ingredients because we support the efforts of the local and global organizations involved and are against improper handling and testing of animals. Please read below to better understand how and why we choose our ingredients.
- Our cosmetic products do not use synthetic fragrances, colors, or preservatives. We do not claim products without synthetic fragrances, colors, or preservatives to be superior to other products. It is our belief that plant-based ingredients are capable of producing fine cosmetic products without the need of synthetic ingredients. We do not claim plant-based ingredients to be superior to other ingredients.
- Our products are not certified organic, but we do use certified organic ingredients. We do not claim certified organic ingredients to be superior to other ingredients. Certified organic ingredients are not allowed to be genetically modified (GM) through artificial means or contain genetically modified organisms (GMO). We do not claim ingredients without GMs and GMOs are superior to other ingredients. Many GM and GMO products are created with animal genes and fall outside of our definition of vegan. We are working towards gaining USDA organic certification.
- Our products ARE certified vegan, and we do use GMO-free, plant based ingredients. We do not claim vegan ingredients to be superior to other ingredients. Vegan ingredients do not contain animal byproducts, have not undergone animal testing, and should be processed on equipment that has not handled animal byproducts. We do not claim ingredients without animal byproducts that have not undergone animal testing or are processed on equipment that has not handled animal byproducts to be superior to other ingredients. Being vegan, or "veganism," is a lifestyle choice.
- Our products are not certified fair trade, but we use certified Fair Trade ingredients or Good Trade ingredients when sourcing ingredients produced outside the United States. Good Trade is a program set in place by one of our suppliers, which is designed to provide an alternative to Fair Trade. Good Trade is only ensured under "good faith" from our supplier at this time. We do not claim fairly traded or Good Trade ingredients to be superior to other ingredients. The goal of these programs is to ensure the ethical treatment and pay of foreign growers, harvesters, and processors. Since we purchase Fair Trade and Good Trade ingredients from certified suppliers, not directly from foreign manufacturers, we are not currently seeking Fair Trade certification. This will change as our supply lines change to always ensure the ethical treatment and pay of foreign growers, harvesters, and processors.
- Our products are manufactured in the United States, but a number of ingredients are sourced from outside the US. This is due to our personal sustainable agricultural requirements when sourcing ingredients. It is important to us that host plants for our ingredients are grown, harvested, and processed in a sustainable way in their natural environments. We do not claim ingredients made from host plants grown, harvested, and processed in a sustainable way to be superior to other ingredients.
All cosmetic claims including, but not limited to "moisturizing," "reduces the appearance of fine lines," "exfoliating," "for dry skin," "for oily skin," and "for sensitive skin" are based on our personal use and testing by our family, friends, and acquaintances. These statements have not been proven through third-party efficacy testing.
All information included with our products and promotional materials is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, cure, prevent or, diagnose any disease or condition. Information is presented "as is" and may not be complete or accurate. Although cosmetics are not considered drugs, always consult with your doctor to attain medical advice prior to starting any cosmetic routine even if no symptoms are present. Always check ingredients for substances that may cause allergic reaction. If an allergic reaction occurs, discontinue use immediately and seek medical advice.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about who we are and for what we stand. Again, for more clarification on these statements or any statements related to our products or promotional materials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.